KUALA LUMPUR: National badminton ace Lee Chong Wei could make his long-awaited return to the court in “a week or two”, says Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) secretary Datuk Ng Chin Chai.
The 36-year-old, who’s still recuperating from nose cancer treatment, had said last month that he is targeting a comeback to training in December.
And the three-time Olympics silver medallist appeared to be ready to get back into the routine that he’s so accustomed to.
“As on Monday, I was made to understand that Chong Wei had a discussion with coach Hendrawan on his training plans, and that he’s ready to return to the court anytime from now,” said Chin Chai.
“Not so soon, but I think it would be this month … possibly in a week or two.”
Chong Wei last played competitively at the Indonesian Open in July where he made it to the semi-finals before losing to reigning world champion Kento Momota.
It was a week after the tournament that Chong Wei had flown to Taiwan to undergo a two-and-a-half month treatment after he was diagnosed with early stage nose cancer.
After overcoming a difficult period which Chong Wei billed as “the toughest battle of his life”, he said in his first public appearance on Nov 8 that he has no intention of hanging up his racquet just yet, and will continue pursuing the elusive Olympic gold medal at the 2020 Tokyo Games.
If all goes well, Chong Wei said his first return to competition would be at the All-England in March.
He is so determined to make a comeback that he has been quietly working on getting physically fit upon returning from Taiwan in early October.
BAM president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria said yesterday he has no doubt that Chong Wei would get back on his feet, just like how he overcame major setbacks in the past.
“I was in touch with him two days ago, he told me he’s in good health and is doing some workout to get his fitness back,” said Norza.
“I’m sure he will be ready by the time the Olympic qualifying period commences on May 1.”